25 March 2013

A Venti Goodbye

I've been going to #Starbucks for about 20 years now. At a conservative average of $3 per day, 365 days per year, that's nearly $22,000 spent at that chain. Looking back, it seems a bit frivolous, but they had a product I desired and it accommodated many friendships and great conversations.

Now I have to change my paradigm. I didn't want to, but #HowardShultz told me he didn't want me spending money at his store anymore. Nope. I didn't cuss out a barista. I didn't steal from them. I didn't even pee on the toilet seats (if this were the case, there would be few men allowed to return to Starbucks). Thus, I must now #dumpstarbucks.

The reason I'm not allowed to return? I support traditional marriage. Now, when Starbucks came out in favor of same sex "marriages" I did not get all huffy and drop them, like some friends did. I can handle someone having an opinion that differs from mine. This is not a liberal strength, this tolerance of the views of others. While they claim to be tolerant, they are entirely intolerant.

Bottom line: Howard Shultz has told anyone who supports traditional marriage that he doesn't want your business. I'll oblige. With great, family startups like the Lamppost Coffee Company cropping up all around, Shultz' business is not irreplaceable. In fact, after pushes for gay "marriage", jobs for the USA (a shill for customers to pay Starbucks to create jobs? I thought we were doing that by buying their products - if you donated, you're stupid), fair trade coffee and all of the politically correct garbage they've been peddling, it didn't take much to push me out of their doors. Convenience and familiarity was the only thing holding me there.

But we are now seeing the truth behind the "gay" agenda. It's not about acceptance or tolerance or anti-bullying, it's about redefining who and what human beings are entirely. From a Christian perspective, it is a slap in the face of God, telling Him that His design requires some human tweaking. It's also an acceptance of perversion as normal, of dysfunction as proper function, of traumatized people who are acting out of their pain as not in need of the healing offered at the Cross.

With a recent poll having been released showing that 49% of Americans now approve of gay "marriage", forces for the movement believe they have won society over. While no science currently shows the long-term effects of how this will impact society, Americans are currently rushing headlong into this brave, new world with just the media images and bumper sticker slogans to guide them. But radical agendas have a way of turning around on their supporters.

God always has the final word, and while no one wants judgment, there is little in Scripture to support the possibility that none will be forthcoming. Romans 1 indicates that God releases us to unnatural perversions like homosexuality when the disregard of God in a society goes unabated. A society steeped in its lusts cannot long stand, as it rejects the protection and nurture of the God who created us for something greater. Will we stand in the midst of our dysfunction, demanding that God allow us His approval for how we have marred ourselves, or will we turn back and receive His perfect plan for us?

This remains to be seen for America. However, until that happens, I just cannot bring myself to enter another Starbucks - as if I would be welcome.

Stay tuned for the Youtube video of me skeet-shooting all of my State and Country Starbucks mugs.







No comments:

Post a Comment